Thursday, October 6, 2011

TC 10 Mile Race Recap - Part 1

I woke up at 4:00 AM on Sunday morning - I was ready to take on the day.  I had laid my clothes out the night before because I was too worried that if I waited to "find" things in the wee hours of the morning something would be forgotten. 
A couple of my fellow TC 10 Milers were meeting at my house at 5:15 AM so that we could all ride together to St. Paul where we would park the car and then take the bus shuttle over to the start line in Minneapolis.  I wanted to be awake early enough to eat (half a bagel with peanut butter and water), get dressed, and be able to go to the bathroom (uh hum) before we left my house.  It was nice and quiet at my house and I was pretty relaxed. 
My girls arrived and it was time to take the last sweep to make sure I had everything - race bib, check - chip on shoe, check - Garmin and HR strap on, check - race belt for my beans and phone, check!  Out the door and off to the races! 
The drive to St. Paul did not take long that early in the AM, when we got off on Kellogg that quickly changed - you could see headlights and taillights for what seemed like FOREVER!  It was all getting very real at this point.  We found a great spot to park and headed over to the Kelly Inn to grab the shuttle.  All 6 of us were now together and ready to make the trek to Minneapolis for the start line. 
The whole bus ride over to the Dome I could barely speak - Tracy was setting up her music, Sue and Erin were chatting, Nicole and Missy were chatting in another seat.  For a little bit, I was in my head, attempting to pump myself up and focus on what was going to be happening very soon.
We arrived at the Dome - tons of people all around.  We made our way in to the Dome where there was heat, because even though the high for the day was in the 70s I am not sure it was 50 yet at this crazy early hour!  We went in an entrance to the dome where others had not discovered that there were bathrooms with no waiting lines - SCORE!  We started walking through the Dome - I was noticing all of the different manners in which people prepare before a race.  If I had not been worrying about my own race I probably could have made some pretty fun observations.  As it was, I was starting to get nervous - but not in the "I am not going to be able to finish" way, more in the "this is so awesome I hope I don't fall on my face in front of all of these people" kind of way.  My stomach was doing flip flops and I was starting to question if I had eaten enough or too much.  We made our way to the bathroom one last time and then snapped a BEFORE picture of our awesome group before heading out in to the chilly morning air.

Erin, Tracy, Sue, Nicole, Me, Missy
 When we got outside there were a ton of people all making their way to the corrals.  We were split up in different corrals - some in 3, some in 4 and some in 5.  We took the groups to the corrals - said our goodbyes, good lucks and gave hugs! 
I was alone (along with about 2000 of my closest friends) in Corral 3.  We could hear the horns going off to release the elite runners and then they started moving the other corrals through.  It felt like FOREVER for Corral 2 to get to the start and get going - but in reality it was 3 MINUTES or so.  Our corral got up to the start line, they shot the gun or blew the horn (honestly don't recall which it was) and we were off.  I wasn't sure how quickly all of us would be able to get to a running speed - but it was actually sooner than I thought it would be.  I crossed the start line, started my Garmin and I was running the TC 10 mile race - WOOHOO!

I have so much more that I want to tell you but this is getting long and I don't want to lose anyone!  Come back tomorrow for the rest! Stay tuned! 

No comments: